Search the Whole Web to quickly find what you're looking for:
Alternatively, if you just want to search THIS SITE, use the Site Search box below: just type the word you're interested in, click 'Search' and away you go! Our trained acupuncture needles will go to work. They're all sharp, smooth, well-toned, keen and quite painless.
Many headaches are understood in Chinese medicine. What about severe headache? In most Western countries, there is a process for dealing with head pain emergency.
If you fall into one of the symptom pictures described below, see a doctor for help. They can keep you alive with modern science. Then see your acupuncture practitioner!
See a Doctor!
Some danger signs ie where you should visit your Doctor first:
- A new headache which is there when you wake up, gradually worsens through the day, and is worse for putting your head down low, or stooping, or straining at anything. This might be a sign of pressure from something inside the bones of the head (the cranium), and it should be checked urgently. This severe headache needs quick diagnosis.
- Where you sometimes get sudden headaches that feel as if your head will explode, or feeling as if you have been hit on the head. Again, this headache needs diagnosis.
- A new headache in the temples (either or both), different from headaches you have had before: may be worse at night, and worsening over several days, with pain that burns or jabs, can sometimes also be felt on the face or scalp: much worse for brushing or combing the hair, or resting the head on a pillow, especially if it starts with or develops loss of vision. This may be temporal arteritis. Go to your doctor quickly for a diagnosis. (But we may be able to help too, later!)
- If you are no longer young, and start getting a headache that your friends say is migraine.
- If you are over six month's pregnant and start getting headaches, especially if they come with visual disturbances (stars or zigzags or funny lights or flickering): this might be eclampsia. Get a doctor's diagnosis.
- Headache or symptoms such as loss of concentration or memory, or vertigo, following an accident, eg concussion, even if some days later.
- Meningitis has the following symptoms: dizzy cramping nausea headache, high fever and stiff neck developing over several hours, or over 1 to 2 days. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, discomfort looking into bright lights, confusion, and sleepiness.
- NB In newborns and small infants, the classic meningitis symptoms of fever, headache, and neck stiffness may be absent or difficult to detect, and the infant may only appear slow or inactive, or be irritable, have vomiting, or be feeding poorly. As the disease progresses, patients of any age may have seizures. This headache needs early medical attention.
Frequent Headaches - What to do?
If you get frequent headaches of any kind, what can YOU do about it?
Beyond reading the book mentioned, consider this.
Chinese medicine has 3000 years of experience and success. It has a huge amount to offer in understanding and treatment of the syndromes behind both headache and severe headache. To find out more about this, click migraine and headache.
In the meantime, what can YOU do?
Put yourself in control. Here is a book that is easy to read, helps you identify the triggers and shows how to reduce pain frequency and intensity. It has helped many sufferers and is well reviewed.
Buy Heal Your Headache
if you do nothing else!
For what Chinese medicine can do for severe headache, as well as milder forms of headache, click here for Migraine and Headache.
Find an Acupuncturist!
If you live in the Edinburgh area of Scotland, where the author of this site (and of the books described below) works, click on Edinburgh Acupuncturist.
If you live elsewhere, click on BAcC.
3000 years of Chinese being stressed, and at last, here's a book showing how all that experience can help you!
By the author of this website, it explains in simple English how to use stress to improve and enhance your life.
For the Latest Reviews of 'Qi Stagnation', click here!
NB You can also order 'Qi Stagnation - Signs of Stress' from your bookseller.
Jonathan Clogstoun-Willmott Books
Please note! The Kindle editions are less easy to read! Although the paper editions cost more, they are much easier to read and to refer back and forth to the contents and index. But ... there is no paper edition of Yang Deficiency as yet.
Here are some of the books Jonathan has written:
Qi Stagnation - Signs of Stress
Yin Deficiency - Burnout and Exhaustion
Yang Deficiency - Get Your Fire Burning Again!
Western Astrology and Chinese Medicine
No comments yet: only just published.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this search feature:
Click Here for Acupuncture Points on Facebook!