Liver and Kidney Yin Deficiency
The combination syndrome of Liver and Kidney Yin Deficiency usually exists after a period of Liver Yin deficiency, Liver Blood deficiency and/or Kidney Yin deficiency.
What pushes it to this next stage is the continued or extra pressure of big emotions.
Of course these emotions could have been causing Liver Qi stagnation for some time, which can itself lead to Liver Blood stagnation and eventually Liver Blood deficiency.
The big emotions that push the original syndromes over the edge include
- intense worry
These emotions can arise from relationship problems, financial problems, abuse, humiliation and such-like.
For this syndrome to occur, these emotions usually have been going on for some time: this does not result from an overnight transformation.
As it develops, the symptoms of Liver Blood and Liver Yin deficiency occur more frequently, together with growing signs of Kidney Yin deficiency.
Symptoms of Liver and Kidney Yin deficiency
Bearing in mind what the Liver energy does, this means that the following begin to appear more often:
- Eye dryness;
- Eyes blur or cannot focus easily;
- Dryness elsewhere, often in - for women - genital organs;
- Dryness in the throat
- Dry hair
- Dry skin
- Brittle nails. This is because the Liver is said to govern and nourish the nails. When it fails to nourish them, they become 'dry': we experience this as brittleness.
- Constipation or difficulty passing stools because of dryness;
(Sometimes the Blood deficiency in the eyes leads to inflammation either of the sclera or of the eyelids);
- For women, bleeding at periods reduces in quantity, or she may even miss a period; consequently her fertility is compromised;
- Numbness in muscles (on either medial or lateral legs where the Liver and Gall bladder channels traverse) but also elsewhere;
- Tingling in legs and arms (Liver Blood fails to nourish)
- Sleep patterns are disturbed meaning either frequent waking, often around either 1pm (relates to the Liver) or 3am (relates to the Kidney) if you put the light out around 11pm: in severe cases, you may wake at these times no matter when you went to bed; also, because the Shen cannot rest in the Liver Blood calmly, there is much restlessness and dreaming:
- ...possibly talking in sleep;
- ...possibly sleep-walking too.
- Often irascibility in the morning;
- Head: dizziness and difficulty hearing
- Headache either at the vertex (Liver) or the Occiput (Kidney)
- Lumbar back-ache (Kidney deficiency)
- Sweating, usually at night, and often starting around 3am (Kidney time)
- Nocturnal emissions
- Ear noises - tinnitus - from Kidney Yin deficiency
- Tongue: very thin (rootless) or non-existent coating. Colour may be normal. Only if there is deficient Heat does it become red.
- Pulse: floating and empty.
If, in addition, Empty Heat appears on top of this, you get other symptoms see here.
Many of these symptoms in the upper part of the body or the head occur because Clear Yang cannot ascend properly, bringing with it Blood. Eg, blurred vision, deafness, dryness, deficient-type headaches.
Return from Liver and Kidney Yin deficiency to Insomnia.
Click to get back to Syndromes.
Jonathan Clogstoun-Willmott Books
All the books in the 'Chinese Medicine in English' series should be fully accessible on Kindles and Kindle apps. (Or you can buy the softback print editions, of course.)
('Western Astrology and Chinese Medicine' published 1986, was never available in a Kindle version.)
If, having read one of my books you can write a review - preferably positive - that would help others decide whether to read it.
You can put your review on Amazon or, on this site, here.
And if you think it was terrible?
Well, let me know so I can improve it for the next person. (Ideally let me know before cursing it in public!)
Here are some of the books I (Jonathan) have written.
Subscribers to Kindle Unlimited can borrow the first four for 'free'.
Qi Stagnation - Signs of Stress
Yin Deficiency - Burnout and Exhaustion
Yang Deficiency - Get Your Fire Burning Again!
Yuck! Phlegm! How to Clear Your Phlegm ...
Western Astrology and Chinese Medicine
Booking Consultations with Jonathan Clogstoun-Willmott
Please note: during this Covid 19 pandemic, consultations with Jonathan can only be done by Telephone or Skype
Click here to see when Jonathan is available, or to BOOK your appointment online.
Alternatively, ring him on 07950 012501 or freephone (only free to telephone within the UK) 0800 298 7015.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this search feature:
Click Here for Acupuncture Points on Facebook!