Conception Vessel 3 is the third point on the Conception Vessel, one of the so-called ‘extraordinary’ acupuncture channels.
It is also the
- Mu point (Alarm point) for the Bladder
- Meeting point with Liver, Spleen and Kidney channels
Location of Zhongji
This point, Ren-3, lies 4 cun below the umbilicus on the mid-line.
Finding the point
Zhongji is usually where it says, ie 4/5 of the way from the umbilicus to the upper edge of the pubic bone.
But sometimes you have to search around for it. Start with Conception Vessel 2, locating it by pressing the tip of your finger against the superior edge of the pubic bone just to the side of the midline, and working it in towards the actual midline and beyond. By working back and forth you’ll eventually find the small dip in the centre, technically called the linea alba.
From there, work upwards towards the umbilicus, until you find a point that is either slightly or very tender to the touch (from the patient’s point of view) or seems tight to you, about 1/5 of the way up. That’s Conception Vessel 3.
Needling and Moxa on CV3
Conception Vessel 3 should not be needled on pregnant women!
Otherwise, either perpendicularly half to 1 cun, or diagonally from the side, up to 2 cun. Don’t go too deep because the bladder and uterus lie under the point. In any case, ask your patients to void their bladders first before using this point.
Both in the area and downwards towards the urethra.
ACTIONS of Conception Vessel 3
- Strengthens the bladder functions
- Drains Damp and Damp Heat from the lower abdomen
- Regulates the Uterus and the menses
- Moves stagnation in the lower abdomen
- Is a meeting point for the 3 leg yin muscle channels
- Strengthens Kidney and Jing-essence
Strengthening and adjusting the bladder function
- Diuretic point
- Frequent Urination
- Lack of urination
Drains Damp and Damp-Heat
- Itching, pain, swelling and heat in the genitals or cervix
- Tumours or masses in the lower abdomen
Regulates the Uterus and Menses
- Irregular menses
- Vaginal itch and pain
- Vaginal discharges
- Prolapse of the uterus
Moves stagnation in the lower abdomen
- Helps bring down the placenta after birth
- Retention of urine
- Vaginal pain
Meeting point of 3 leg-yin muscle meridians
- This makes this point another major point for stimulating yin qualities, like Sanyinjaio, Spleen 6.
Strengthens Kidney and Jing essence
- Weakness or coldness of the whole body or lower abdomen eg ongoing diarrhoea from weakness
- Coldness and lack of Yang
- Revitalising point after labour, as for example where there are continuing discharges
- Improves internal secretions, eg of hormones
- Premature ejaculation
- Back pain from deficiency